The Essentials of Essential Oils
Essential oils don’t just smell good. They have uses ranging from easing headaches and colds, to yoga mat cleaners and numerous household uses. First, a little background! Essential oils contain compounds used by plants to prevent bugs from eating them and bacteria from growing on them. Essential oils are highly concentrated amounts of plant extracts that have the ability to help humans repel pests, fight off infection, and many physical & mental benefits. It takes pounds of plants to make only a couple of ounces of oil, so don’t have sticker shock when you see the price tag on a bottle of oil. You don’t need a large amount of oil to reap the benefits. A couple ways to tap into the therapeutic effects of an essential oil is massaging it into your skin, inhale it from the bottle, diffuse it throughout a room or drop it into a bath.
Curious about making your own ‘recipes’ using essential oils?? I’ve included some of my favorite recipes in addition to the health benefits of the essential oils within the ingredient list. Keep 2 things in mind when experimenting with these blends. First, store your blends in a dark or tinted glass bottle. This will ensure your oils remain their freshest and most potent. Second, if you need to use a plastic bottle, make sure it is BPA free so that your solutions don’t become contaminated with the toxin. Enjoy!
Health Concern: Headaches
- 6 drops lavender
- 1 ounce fractionated coconut oil (AKA carrier oil. Fractionated means that the oil does not leave your skin feeling wet/slippery; the oil sinks into your skin quickly, mixes quickly with other oils (like essential oils!) and feels more like water on your skin than a thick, cloudy oil you may cook with).
Put a small dab under your nose. Inhale slowly and deeply.
Health Effects of lavender:
Health Concern: Sore Muscles
- 3 drops frankincense
- 3 drops helichrysum
- 3 drops rosemary
- 1 ounce fractionated coconut oil
Combine all ingredients in a dark, glass bottle or a roller bottle. Keep this blend in your yoga bag to apply to sore muscles after your class.
Health Effects of essential oils:
- reduces appearances of blemishes
- rejuvenates skin
- promotes relaxation and balances mood
- Supports healthy respiratory function
- healthy digestion
- reduce tension and fatigue
- Reduce appearance of wrinkles
- promotes healthy complexion
- soothing effect on the mind & body
- promote healthy metabolism
Health Concern: Stress Relief
- 18 drops bergamont
- 1/2 tablespoon fractionated coconut oil
- 2 ounces sea salt
Combine ingredients and add mixture to a bath while you relax for 15 minutes or more.
Health Effects of bergamont:
- Calming and soothing aroma
- purifies skin
Yoga Mat Spray!
- 48 drops tea tree oil
- 48 drops lavender oil
- 48 drops oregano
- 4 ounces water
Combine ingredients in a dark, glass bottle and spray before or after each class. Wipe clean with a dry towel. Enjoy the scent of the oils the next time you practice! NOTE: Not all yoga mats are the same. Spray a small amount of the mixture on a corner of your mat to ensure that no damage ensues.
Health Benefits of Oils
- Oregano and tea tree oil: Antibacterial and antifungal
- lavender: soothing
Household Multi-Purpose Cleaner
- 2 teaspoons lemon oil
- 1/4 teaspoon tea tree oil
- 50/50 blend of water and white vinegar
Combine ingredients in a dark, glass bottle and use to clean various surfaces in your home. Wipe clean with a dry towel.
Health Benefits of Oils:
- elevates mood
- soothes sore throat (add 1 drop to your tea!)
- neutralizes odor
- removes adhesives or greasy substances from fabric
- Tea tree:
- antimicrobial agent
I hope you give all of these recipes a try! If you have, I’d love to hear your thoughts on them!
Here are some links to view/purchase the oils and products I’ve mentioned above.
doTERRA Essential Oils: https://doterra.com/US/en/pl/singleoils